Sunday, November 25, 2007

All over Red Rover

Looks like I am going to be banned permanently from editing 'BLPs' (biographies) on the back of my edits at Giovanni di Stefano. In fact - the motion already has enough votes, so I guess I actually am banned from editing BLPs.
I think that's a pathetic decision, and I certainly intend to ask calmly and politely for it to be reversed - particularly given the scandalous involvement of a separate mailing list where my blocks had been discussed from the outset. The arb case has been ludicrously and embarrassingly prejudiced.
So what kind of BLP editing results in a permanent ban?
Basically any mention of a fraud conviction, or questions surrounding GdS' qualifications.
Oh - and we're not talking about actually edit warring them into the article, or gross violations of POV - we're talking about not more than 10 edits over 2 weeks to an article, including posting quite a calm draft, followed by mere mention on the talk page.
Seriously.
My jaw is on the floor to consider that this has been seriously entertained (though sure, there's a great Arb Com case to quote to stifle other BLP pages.....).
The two arbs I have the most respect for (many I simply don't know anything of) have yet to pass comment. I wait for a light at the end of the tunnel.
Though I will not be surprised if it's an oncoming train.

5 comments:

Whistleblower said...

It gets worse every day at the mo! I am emailing you privately:)

private musings said...

You know - although it's fairly crazy out here 'on the record' it's going absolutely batshit behind the scenes. And that's just the info. flung my way........

Anonymous said...

I'd say look to slashdot within 48hrs. "I come back to you now at the turn of the tide!"

Whistleblower said...

Well, I hope you're right, anonymous.:)

private musings said...

You know - in actual fact things like this often take a lot longer to resolve, and people outside of the 'emotional' zone are far less interested than you might imagine. I utterly relate to the 'this is outrageous, lets spread THE TRUTH' - and do plan on communicating my perspective calmly, perhaps to a newspaper (or donor I suppose?). I'm thinking that I must be patient, and be prepared for a slow, long run. Hey ho.......